1/02/2004

Seabiscuit (2002)

Had I not read the book, I probably would have loved the film enormously, but as so often happens, I found the book superior. Granted, the book is huge in its scope and I can appreciate that the filmmaker couldn't possibly fit it all in, but there were certain things I was looking for specifically that weren't included so I felt a little let down about that.

For one, there was no mention of the jockey's nurse-turned-girlfriend-turned-wife which may have left viewers with the impression that he was a complete loner in life. There was also not enough coverage of the fact that the Seabiscuit/War Admiral duel had to be cancelled several times because of problems with Team Seabiscuit -- injuries to both horse and rider, and weather conditions that caused Team Seabiscuit to cancel races at the last moment. Knowing of this from the book added sigificant tension to the whole story.

But as a film, I think it was overall better than average -- especially for a horse lover like me.

Jeff Bridges did a fine job as Seabiscuit's benevolent owner, Charles Howard, who always showed respect for the trainer, jockey, and the horse. He had a few scenes that brought tears to my eyes. The only fault I find with that character in both the book and the film is that absolutely no warts were exposed. Perhaps the real Charles Howard had no warts. Certainly no one has stepped forward to reveal them -- but I just get this feelingthere were things untold.

Toby McGuire was satisfactory as the jockey Red Pollard, though I was left hankering a bit for some other actor. I don't know who exactly, but I guess that means I didn't feel McGuire was the very best choice for the role. There was just something a tad missing in his portrayal.

I think perhaps I was most impressed with Chris Cooper's portrayal of the trainer. Tom Smith. He spoke more than I expected (based on descriptions of him inthe book) but he was sort of that invisible soul who blended into the background and yet had an important impact on that incredible horse's success -- and the whole Team Seabiscuit experience.

William H. Macy's Tick-Tock McGlaughlin character, a total contrivence, was needed for transitions in the film, but somehow he annoyed the crackers out of me.

Though Randy Newman's musical score was a tad more than gushy in some places, it had an overall endearing quality. And there were a few haunting musical phrases that I could hear over and over again.

Maybe the biggest attractions for me were the lush cinematography, the panoramic racetrack views, the outstanding costuming of huge numbers of people, and the continuity. Though I know 15 different horses were used for Seabiscuit, I simply couldn't discern a difference in the beasts; their sizes, conformation, and other features were so perfectly matched.
Based on the book by Laura Hillenbrand. Directed by Gary Ross.

Rated PG-13 for some sexual situations and violent sports-related images.

My personal rating: A-

No comments: