6/17/2008

Lawless Heart (2001)


The deceased's brother-in-law, Dan (Bill Nighy), is a faithful husband to Judy (Ellie Haddington) -- until he meets the buxom Corrine (Clémentine Célarié), the florist who arranged the flowers for the funeral. Dan is so smitten that he wonders what's he's missed in life.

Nick (Tom Hollander), the deceased man's lover, takes up with an affair with a spontaneous young woman, Charlie (Sukie Smith), and then is troubled by his feelings.

The charismatic Tim (Douglas Henshall) returns for home for his friend's funeral after eight years of carefree living and hooks up with a boutique owner, his past girlfriend Leah (Josephine Butler). But he most confront his future whilst trying to find out more about her past.

Though this film won numerous awards and I've read favorable reviews of it, I guess I just didn't get it or was having an Excedrin day when I saw it. It felt to much like a soap opera to me. I wasn't impressed and Bill Nighy, who I normally enjoy, walked through it in a particular daze that only Nighy can pull off. He looked as bored with the whole thing as I felt with the whole thing.

Written and directed by Tom Hunsinger and Neil Hunter.

Run Time: 1 hour, 39 minutes

Rated R for strong sexuality/nudity and language.

My personal rating: D

No comments: