4/22/2009

The Wrestler (2008)

.
"And now, I'm an old broken down piece of meat... and I'm alone. And I deserve to be alone. I just don't want you to hate me."

Twenty years before, Randy "The Ram" Robinson (Mickey Rourke) was one of the biggest headliners on the pro wrestling circuit. He appeared in huge venues and had mobs of loyal fans. But with age, Randy can barely get a match in VFW and community center rings. He's taken to working in a grocery store, but he still dreams of one last match with his nemesis, the Ayatollah (Ernest Miller) before he retires.

But real life and a heart attack get in the way of his dream. In the process, he works hard to fix and have a real relationship with his estranged daughter Stephanie (Evan Rachel Wood) and solidify the relationship with Cassidy (Marisa Tomei), a stripper with a heart of gold who wants to move on to a conventional life.

Directed by Darren Aronofsky.

Run time: 1 hour, 51 minutes

Rated R for violence, sexuality/nudity, language and some drug use.

My personal rating: A-

No comments: