5/13/2009

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (2005)

.
"Promise me one thing, Pete. If I die over here, carry me back to my family and bury me in my home town. I don't want to be buried on this side among all the f***ing billboards."

When Pete Perkin's (Tommy Lee Jones, who also directed) best friend, Melquiades Estrada (Julio César Cedillo) is found shot to death in the Texas desert near his little goat farm, Pete makes it his business to both find whoever shot Melquiades and to take Melquiades home to his small Mexican village for burial.

What follows is one man's determination to do the right thing and another man's forced and violent journey to redemption.

Also appearing are Barry Pepper as the new, overly aggressive border patrolman Mike Norton; January Jones as Mike's beautiful wife Lou Ann; Dwight Yoakam as Sheriff Belmont; Melissa Leo as a loose woman who befriends Pete, Lou Ann and services the sheriff; Levon Helm as an old blind man on the high mesa; Mel Rodriguez as Captain Gomez of the border patrol; and Vanessa Bauche as Mariana, the herbalist.

Not for the weak stomached!

Run time: 2 hours, 1 minute

Rated R for language, violence and sexuality.

My personal rating: B

No comments: