6/03/2009

Revolutionary Road (2008)

.
"You been to Paris?"
"I've never really been anywhere."
"Maybe I'll take you with me then. I'm going back the first chance I get. I tell you. People are alive there. Not like here. All I know, April, is I want to feel things. Really feel them, you know. How's that for an ambition?"
"Frank Wheeler. I think you're the most interesting person I've ever met."

When Frank (Leonardo DiCaprio) and April (Kate Winslet) first met, they were full of hope and aspiration. He was a free spirit with dreams of returning to Paris where he'd spent some time during WW II. She, a budding actress. But when an unexpected pregnancy pushes them to marriage, they assume the expected roles for young couples in the 1950s.

Frank settles into a corporate job where his father had worked in NYC while April became a stereotypical Connecticut housewife. They get caught up in quiet desperation and over time, it reflects in their marriage. They grow short tempered and irritable with each other. But when they finally resolve to give up the expectations of others and move to Paris as they both had once dreamed, complicating situations get in the way.

Also appearing are Kathy Bates as their real estate agent Helen Givings; Richard Easton as her husband Howard; Michael Shannon as their mentally unstable son; David Harbour and Kathryn Hahn as their neighbors Shep and Millie.

Directed by Sam Mendes.

Run time: 1 hour, 59 minutes

Rated R for language and some sexual content/nudity.

My personal rating: B+

No comments: