1/11/2004

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind () NEEDS COMPLETION

Well, a dangerous mind? How about a severely drugged mind?



This film alternately felt like what I imagine a bad acid trip must be like


and a poignant view at a strange man.


Bottom line, I'm not really sure if I liked it or not. It was...different.



George Clooney, in his directorial debut, seemed a tad scattered at first,but in the end, much of his vision seemed to pull together to weave the tale. I enjoyed his homage to his auntie, Rosemary Clooney.



I very much enjoyed Drew Barrymore's character and thought she played it with real understanding. Apparently it's a role she aggressively campaigned for even before Clooney won the property. She was, perhaps, the only thread of sanity in the whole story.



I'd be curious if the interspersed statements by Dick Clark, Jaye P. Morgan,Gene Gene the Dancing Machine, and others were their real thoughts or were scripted. Certainly they all thought Chuck Barris odd but seemed to have some real empathy for him. But then I wouldn't expected otherwise because of how this movie was crafted with great imput from Barris himself.



Would I recommend this film? Hmmmm...very cautiously and only to certain people. Would I see it again? Probably not in the near future. Maybe in a few years.



Don't know what is is about Barris, but ever since I first saw him I alternated between a great disgust for him and a real curiosity about him. Apparently he's had that affect on a lot of people.







Run time:





Rating:






My personal rating: C+

No comments: