10/05/2006

The Lake House (2006)


The Lake HouseContrived, Cliched,
and Tedious

lu·gu·bri·ous:
adj.
Mournful, dismal, or gloomy, especially to an exaggerated or ludicrous degree, The Lake House.

I like time travel films. I really do. But this film did nothing for me except annoy and fatigue me. In fact, it put me asleep seven times when I tried to see it through to the end over three different days.

I can buy the time warp premise that Kate (Sandra Bullock) and Alex (Keanu Reeves) live in the same house two years apart and develop a relationship via letters left to and from each other in the lake house's mailbox. I can buy the concept that they shared the same dog, Jack (brilliantly played by a sadly uncredited rag-a-muffin pup, perhaps the best acting of the whole film).

I wanted to like this Alejandro Agresti film because I generally enjoy Bullock and Reeves. I really did want to like it. But the plodding, stilted dialogue, ever-brooding facial expressions, limpid body language, aching sorrow, mostly ponderous musical score, and lack of chemistry between Kate and Alex put me off. Way off.

Rated PG for some language and a disturbing image.
viewed Oct-2006

No comments: