8/11/2009

Hush (1998)

.
”Still love me?”
“I’ll love you, dear – I’ll love you till China and Africa meet…”
“And the river jumps over the mountain…”
“And the salmon sing in the streets.”

Jackson (Johnathon Schaech) brings his girlfriend Helen (Gwyneth Paltrow) home to Kilronan, the family’s Thoroughbred racing ranch in Virginia, to meet his mother, the sarcastic passive-aggressive, Martha (Jessica Lange). It’s clear that Martha feels no other woman is a good match for her baby boy.

Shortly after their return to their NYC loft, Helen realizes she’s pregnant. A luscious wedding follows at the ranch and the couple returns to NYC. When Helen is attacked in her own apartment, they decide the city just isn’t safe. They move to the ranch, but once there, Helen realizes that NYC is a safe haven compared to trying to live with Martha dominating her life.

Also appearing are Nina Foch as Jackson’s paternal grandmother who loathes the conniving Martha; and Hal Holbrook as the kindly Dr. Hill.

Gorgeous horses – and the ranch I’ll own when I win the lottery!
And why have I never seen this Johnathon Schaech before? Mighty easy on the eyes! I’m going to have to look for his other films.


Directed by Jonathan Darby.

Run time: 1 hour, 36 minutes

Rated PG-13.

My personal rating: B

No comments: