9/06/2008

Manhattan Murder Mystery (1993)

.
"Claustrophia and a dead body -- this is a neurotic's jackpot!"

Manhattanites Larry (Woody Allen) and Carol (Diane Keaton) Lipton live down the hall from an elderly couple, Paul (Jerry Adler) and Lillian (Lynn Cohen) House. When Lillian turns up dead of an apparent heart attack and Paul is quickly ready to move on with his life without any explanation about Lillian's death, Carol turns detective using all she's learned over the years from books, films and tv shows. Larry discourages her and tells her to mind her own business but Carol has a lot of time on her hands since their son Nick (Zak Branff) left for college.

In time, Larry, too, becomes emeshed in the mystery and they recruit friends Ted (Alan Alda) and Marcia (Anjelica Huston) Fox to help solve the mystery. Also appearing are Joy Behar, Ron Rifkin, and Aida Turturro.

Typical Allen-esque witty lines:

"My life is passing before my eyes. The worst part about it is that I'm driving a used car."

"I can't get that Flying Dutchman theme out of my head. Remind me tomorrow to buy up all the Wagner records in town and rent a chainsaw."

"I can't listen to that much Wagner, ya know? I start to get the urge to conquer Poland."

"New York is the city that never sleeps! That's why we don't live in Duluth. That, plus I don't even know where Duluth is. Lucky me."

"I'd like to French pastry myself to death, right now."

"There's nothing wrong with you that a little Prozac and a polo mallet can't cure."


Written by Woody Allen and Marshall Brickman; directed by Woody Allen.

Run time: 1 hour, 44 minutes

Rated PG for mild language, and for elements of violence in a comic murder mystery.

My personal rating: B

No comments: