2/13/2009

Housewife, 49 (2006)

.
"We can't pander to husbands. These are perilous times."

In September 1939, an English newspaper challenged readers to submit their journal entry accounts of daily life in war time. Nella Last (Victoria Wood) of Barrow-in-Furness, an oppressed and emotionally fragile housewife, struggles to begin journaling. At first it is uncomfortable and she is self-concious, but over the years of the war, her journal reveals the story of a blossoming woman who no longer has to live subservient to anyone.

Though her husband Will (David Threlfal) wants Nella to stay at home to tend to his needs, Nella wants to feel more useful. She's previously had a mental breakdown and is now near another. Thanks to the counsel of her physician (Jason Watkins), Nella is encouraged to journal and to "get out or go under."

With her two sons (Christopher Harper, Ben Crompton) going off to war, Nella finds the courage to defy Will and she signs up with the Women's Voluntary Service which aids the war effort from the homefront. Will feels she won't fit in but, in fact, he's just jealous of her time and doesn't want to lose control of her.

And she religiously enters passages in her journal which help her grow and evolve into an independent woman.

Based on the true journals of Nella Last, who passed away in 1968. Her diaries were published in 1980.

First journal entry:

My name is Nella Last and I'm sad and scared and I have nobody and I don't know who I am. I feel like I'm behind a glass wall. My name is Nella Last. I suffer from nerves. I'm very cheery when I'm in company. I cry all the time.

This made-for-TV film aired on BBC.

Directed by Gavin Millar.

Run time: 1 hour, 35 minutes

Not rated by MPAA.

My personal rating: B+

No comments: